I’m often enough asked what you can do with costuming that you’ve either outgrown or is a style that you’ve moved away from and want to try something different for the next few years. Fortunately, there are a number of online marketplaces where you can resell your used Renaissance costume pieces, allowing you to recoup some funds to put toward your next set of Ren Faire garb! Or, if you’re looking to get new-to-you pieces that don’t break the bank, opting for used costuming can help stretch your funds while still getting high quality pieces.
Here are some online marketplaces where you can resell or shop for used Renaissance costume pieces:
- Facebook Marketplace and Buy/Sell Groups: Facebook Marketplace is an online marketplace where people can buy and sell items both locally as well as with the option to ship. In addition to Facebook Marketplace, Facebook buy/sell groups are another space where you can list your used Renaissance costume pieces for sale and reach a targeted audience. Every group has its own rules for selling, so make sure to read the group rules and guidelines before posting your item for sale. I’ve included a short list of targeted Buy/Sell Facebook Groups below!
- eBay: eBay is one of the largest online marketplaces in the world, and it can be a great place to sell used Renaissance costume pieces. You have the option to ship, which is most common, but you can also give the option for local pick-ups. eBay charges fees for listing items and taking a percentage of the final sale price.
- Poshmark: Poshmark is a fashion-focused online marketplace where people can sell used clothing, shoes, and accessories. If you have a Renaissance costume piece that’s more on the “fashion” side than the historical side, Poshmark may be a good place to sell it. Poshmark takes a percentage of the final sale price as a fee.
- Mercari: Mercari is a popular online marketplace where people can sell used items. You can list your Renaissance costume pieces for sale on Mercari and reach a large audience. Mercari charges a fee for listing items and takes a percentage of the final sale price.
- Craigslist: Craigslist is another online marketplace where you can sell your used Renaissance costume pieces. You can list your items for sale in your local area and arrange for pick-up or shipping. It’s best used in areas with a larger festival close-by. Craigslist is a free service, but be aware of potential scams and always use caution when dealing with strangers.
Facebook Buy/Sell Groups for Costuming:
Fantasy & Ren Garb For Sale
Renaissance, Medieval, SCA & Steampunk Buy & Sell
PIRATE’S BAZAAR BUY SELL TRADE GARB & GEAR
Know of an active FB resell group not listed here? Add it in the comments!
There are many online marketplaces where people can resell their used Renaissance costume pieces. No matter which online platform you choose to sell your used costuming through, be sure to take clear, high quality photos, disclose any defects and wear/tear, and provide accurate measurements to avoid the hassle of potential returns. Whether you choose Facebook Marketplace, eBay, Craigslist, Mercari, or Poshmark, you’ll need to set a fair price for your items to attract potential buyers. With a little effort, you can make some extra cash and help someone else build their perfect Renaissance outfit.